| Home | “Even if all of the water boils away, the peas WILL NOT BECOME SCORCHED!” |
Any of the following true of you?
1. No time to eat in restaurants.
2. Not much time to cook.
3. No time to wash dishes.
If so, then this recipe may be for you!
My favorite soup is pea soup made from green split peas. The problem is, if I make it on the stove in the conventional way, it has a tendency to get scorched, especially if I forget to stir it regularly. Also, since I like it “well done,” in other words, “nice and thick,” it has an even greater tendency to become scorched, and it takes well over an hour to cook. If it does get scorched, the only way to fix it is to start all over again with a clean pot, which, needless to say, can get very frustrating!
The solution to this problem is to use a disposable “pressure cooker” and a microwave oven. Using two disposable paper bowls¹ and four rubber bands, you can make a pressure cooker for your microwave. The purpose of a pressure cooker is to speed up cooking time, to save energy and to prevent the ingredients from drying out. Then you can, “Set it and forget it.” Even if all of the water boils away, the peas WILL NOT BECOME SCORCHED!
1. Put ½ cup of green split peas into a 20-oz. microwavable, disposable paper bowl¹.
2. Wash the peas once or twice.
3. Add 1 cup of water, noting the water level.
4. Add ½ teaspoon of salt.
5. Add ½ teaspoon of ground ginger.
6. Add ½ teaspoon of ground turmeric.
7. Add ¼ teaspoon of ground cumin.
8. Add ¼ teaspoon of ground coriander.
9. Place a 2nd 20-oz. disposable paper bowl upside down on top of the 1st.
10. Secure the two bowls together using four equally spaced rubber bands.
11. Microwave using ⅓ power² for 30 minutes².
12. After removing the assembly from the microwave, remove the rubber bands and set them aside.
13. Set the top paper bowl aside.
14. Add water until it is back to the level noted in step #3.
15. Repeat steps #9 through #13.
16. Using a disposable plastic spoon¹, mix in enough water to bring the soup to the desired consistency.
17. Microwave uncovered on high for 1 minute.
18. Serve while still very warm, including the plastic spoon. If the bowl is too hot to touch, serve it inside of the 2nd bowl. (This preparation will be just as good, or perhaps even better, the next day after being refrigerated and reheated.)
¹ At Walmart™, I’ve purchased Dixie™ brand 20-oz. microwavable paper bowls in packages of 30 for US$3.38 and Diamond™ brand plastic spoons in packages of 48 for US$1.14.
² Time and power level may vary, depending upon your particular microwave. Some experimentation may be necessary.
| Home | THIS WEB PAGE URL: http://LLBest.com/?P=47 |